I have been getting quite crafty during this quarantine time experimenting with matcha and our granola. We decided to take it to the next level and create something “out of the box” of what we normally do.
Using Mizuba’s matcha green tea powder, we experimented and produced this vegan gluten-free matcha stuffed crunchy french toast that is to die for! Yes, we know the title is long. No, we don’t care because it’s worth it.
We also used the farmhouse bread from New Cascadia Traditional which is another local product here in Portland, OR. This bread reminds me more of sourdough and can be paired well with sweeter dishes to cut the sugar taste down.
Get ready for a mouth savoring explosion people!
YOU WILL NEED:
- 4 thick slices of gluten-free bread
- 3/4 cup cold non-dairy milk
- 3 tbsp vegan gourmet cream cheese (or regular, you do you)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp VeganEgg powder (or an actual egg)
- 1/2 tsp Mizuba matcha powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup slightly ground Nora's Kitchen Granola
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries (optional)
- 1/2 blueberries (optional)
- For glaze: 2 tsp maple syrup, 1/2 tsp Mizuba matcha powder & 1 tsp melted coconut oil
MAKES:2 servings (1 sandwich per person)
- Prep glaze first in a medium-sized bowl by mashing cream cheese until smooth with sugar, vanilla, Matcha and salt adjusting to taste.
- Spread one-third of cream cheese mixture over 2 slices of bread. Top with un-spread slices to form 2 sandwiches.
- Mix VeganEgg powder or egg with non-dairy milk and whisk vigorously until no lumps are left.
- Dip and soak each sandwich in VeganEgg batter. Flip so both sides of the sandwich are soaked.
- Preheat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- To easily add the granola to your sandwiches, put the ground granola on a plate and coat each side of the soaked sandwiches.
- Once the skillet is hot add sandwiches.
- Reduce heat slightly and fry for about 6-8 minutes on one side. Flip and repeat to other side, or until both sides are golden.
- Once finished place sandwiches on a plate to then apply drizzle over the top of both. Top with strawberries, blueberries or any other fruits you like with our granola/french toast.
We are not kidding people. This recipe is nuts! No pun intended.
Enjoy!! Show & tag us in your creations at @MizubaTeaCo!