If you really want to *wow* your brunch crowd, our bff Foodie Renee raised the bar on a regular cinnamon roll, and made these stunning matcha buns with a black sesame swirl instead! Lucky for us, she is thrilled to share the recipe :)
PS - these would be wonderful with our matcha-lavender icing!!
Equipment: stand mixer with a bread hook.
For the Dough:
•1/2 cup warm milk
• 2 teaspoons organic culinary Mizuba Matcha
• 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
•1 large egg at room temperature
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 cup sugar
For the filling:
• 1 cup black sesame seeds
• 1 cup honey
• 2 tablespoons melted butter
• Pour the warm milk and matcha in the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the yeast on top.
• Add the eggs, butter, salt & sugar to the bowl.
• Add in the flour, and mix using the beater blade until just combined.
• Switch to the mixer's bread hook, and turn on high speed for 5-7 minutes until the dough is elastic and smooth.
• Transfer the dough to a large, well-oiled bowl. Cover the bowl.
• Set the bowl in a warm place and allow the dough to rise until doubled.
• While the dough is rising, prepare the sesame filling!
• In a small pan, toast the sesame seeds on low heat until fragrant. Make sure to stir them frequently so they don't burn.
• Once toasted, let the seeds cool a few minutes. Then add the sesame seeds, honey, and butter to a food processor. blend until smooth.
• Sprinkle a surface with flour. Take the dough on the board, and use your finger to press the dough to let the air out.
• Roll the dough to a rectangle.
• Use a spatula to spread the sesame filling on top of the dough
• Starting on the long end of the dough, roll the dough up like a swiss roll and cut into small slices. Place the round slices in a pan and cover with plastic wrap; allow the rolls to rise for 30 minutes or until they double in size.
•Preheat your oven to 375ºF
• When the oven is ready, put your pan into the oven and bake for 17-19 minutes, or until the rolls are lightly golden brown.
Comments will be approved before showing up.