We recently discovered the wonder of coconut butter. We can't get enough! From coco butter's creamy, sweet & smooth flavor profile to its many health benefits, we love incorporating it into our matcha lattes. But we wanted our jar to go further, so we put our baking talents to the test.
The result? One of the best cookie bars we dared dream of.
We love blueberries. We love lemon. We love healthy treats that taste like dessert but will fuel you with lots of nutrients for a time like breakfast.
But what are the benefits of coconut butter, blueberries, and matcha?
Coconut Butter: We love Artisana Organic's coconut butter because it is made from pure, whole coconut flesh (not just the oil). We were able to make this recipe vegan by substituting coconut butter for butter, as the fats work the same. Coconut butter is a healthy fat, containing the immunity-boosting lauric acid. Lauric acid is more readily absorbed directly into your cells, undigested (whereas other oils and fats must be broken down). The result is that lauric acid may be a great source of energy. Coconut butter is also full of goodies like fiber, iron, and has even been said to boost your metabolism.
Matcha: well, if you've spent some time on Mizuba Tea's website you should know why matcha is soooo good for you! Matcha is full of anti-inflammatory chlorophyll, super-antioxidant-packed catechins, and calming amino acids, like L-theanine!
So, without further ado, enjoy this recipe dreamed up by yours truly and our friends at Body Bliss Life and Artisana Organics!
Lemon Blueberry Oat Cookie Bars with Matcha Coconut Butter Drizzle
ingredients + utensils
1 cup oat flour (need to know how to make oat flour?)
2 Tablespoons flax seeds
1 cup whole oats
1/3 coconut oil
1/4 cup melted Artisana Organics coconut butter
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup blueberries
1 lemon (for zest & juice)
1 teaspoon chia seeds (optional)
For the crumble!
1/2 cup oat flour
1 tablespoon coconut sugar
Any nutritious add-ins you enjoy: nuts, more flax seeds, shredded coconut, etc.
For the drizzle!
1 teaspoon Mizuba Organic Culinary Matcha
1/4 cup melted coconut butter.
Pre-heat your oven to 375ºF
1) Place your blueberries in a bowl. Add the zest of 1 lemon, the juice of 1/2 lemon, coconut sugar, and your chia seeds. Stir, and let stand.
2) Let's make the coconut butter shortbread! If you don't have oat flour on hand, take the 1 cup oats and pulse in a food processor or Vitamix blender. We like to pulse our flax seeds in at the same time!
3) Mix your 1 cup oat flour with 1 cup whole oats. Whisk in your salt and baking soda.
4) Fold in melted coconut oil and coconut butter. You should have a nice dough to work with now!
5) Spread dough in pan.
6) Evenly layer your blueberry mixture on top of your coconut butter shortbread crust.
7) Make your crumble topping! Blend 1/2 cup oat flour with 1/4 oats, 1 tablespoon coconut sugar, any mix-ins you prefer, and stir it all together with 2 tablespoons coconut oil. Use your hands or a pastry cutter to blend until crumbly. Sprinkle over your blueberry layer!
8) Bake! Place your pan in your pre-heated 375ºF oven for 25 - 35 minutes.
9) While we're baking the bars, let's make our coconut butter matcha drizzle!
10) Mix 1 teaspoon matcha with 1/4 melted coconut butter until smooth.
11) When your bars are light golden brown on top and the blueberries look nice and jammy, go ahead and take your bars out to cool.
12) Make sure your bars are completely cooled and drizzle the matcha coconut butter mixture on top.
Enjoy!!! Post your favorite #matchamoment eating your delicious cookie bars to Instagram and tag us at @MizubaTeaCo!
Comments will be approved before showing up.