Just as we make decisions to mindfully lessen our impact on the Earth in our personal lives, as a family-run small business, we take the same approach with how we manage our decisions at Mizuba. Here at Mizuba, we are committed to sustainability. Not just one day a year, and not just because it's trendy. (Although, fun fact: our founder, Lauren, is from the same town where Earth Day originated — 50 years ago! Just saying.)
We love the planet we live on, we are thankful for everything it gives us, and we want to take care of it to the best of our ability.
Our focus: eco-friendly packaging
Our business is built on shipping tea all over the world, and doing that in the most environmentally responsible way is hugely important to us. The photo above represents our team's creativity, research, and work over the past 12 months — read on for a few updates about our current progress:
- All of our packing peanuts are completely dissolvable. Run them under water and they disappear. Magic!
- 80% of the shipping material we use is second-life — that is, we recycle and reuse boxes and packing material as frequently as we can. If you've received a box from us, there's a good chance it's on its second or third trip. Feel free to continue the cycle and use it again!
- Last year we introduced the world's first compostable single-serve matcha. It's always a good idea to buy in bulk when you can, but for people who are camping, flying, or on-the-go, we are so happy to have a compostable and recyclable solution for you.
- We're also transitioning from plastic to recyclable and reusable materials wherever we can — our new chasen packaging is the latest example.
- Plus, did you know: all of our loose leaf packaging is completely compostable!
- Our shipping labels are zero waste!
- Our bubble mailers are 100% recyclable.
- We are researching ways to offset our carbon imprint. Stay tuned!
- Bonus: there are a few select locations that will re-fill your Mizuba matcha tin for you! Of course, the current Covid-19 climate has these re-fill locations on hold, but mega shout-outs to People's Co-op, Ha Coffee Bar, and KIT Coffee. The ability to re-fill your tins is something we'd like to see more of in the future, so stay tuned!
Of course, taking care of the planet is up to all of us. One little thing that you can do? Give your Mizuba tin an upcycled second life! May we suggest your tins become: succulent pots, office supply organizers, portable sewing kits, makeup brush holders... the list goes on. Bonus idea: use your brewed Gyokuro leaves on top of your favorite dish (delicious!), or toss any used tea leaves in your garden (delicious to plants!). The possibilities to reuse are endless.
As always, we'd love to hear from you. What are some ways we can continue to take even better care of the planet through our tea company? Some of our favorite ideas come from our newsletter subscribers. Reply to this email and let us know!
Wishing you all the best,
- Lauren and the Mizuba team
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.